Project Ocean Watch Global Prize Competition:
- Design a competition accessible to wide audiences to source solutions to key conservation challenges, contributing to a vibrant and sustainable blue economy
- Connect with local and indigenous populations to level the playing field for entrepreneurs.
- Feature a youth prize category, enabling middle & high school students to participate
- Assemble a highly credentialed team of judges with expertise in ocean science, technology and social impact investing
- Hold ocean innovation summits in each port to announce winners and award micro-grants and scholarships
Categories for competition include innovations in:
- Clean Water + Sanitation
- Shipping + Maritime Industry Innovations
- Sustainable Seafood
- Offshore Renewable Energy
- Plastics: Biodegradable; single use reduction; upcycling;
- Disruptive Technologies (AI, IoT, smart robots, blockchains, VR, gene editing)
- Marine Pharmacology + Marine Genetic Resources
A paradigm shift is underway in education that emphasizes learning by doing, real-world project-based learning and creative problem-solving. Including a youth category in the global ocean innovation competition provides a breakthrough experience for middle and high school aged students to develop creative solutions that protect the health of the oceans. Scholarships will be awarded in each port.